Saturday, November 30, 2013

Additional Post Three: Spark of Love


As time has passed I have slowly begun to learn the importance of community service and giving back to people in need. For the month of November I was fortunate enough to help run the Spark of Love toy drive, which is run by the L.A. County Fire Department. This toy drive helps give Christmas presents to many orphaned children around California.

spark of love

I helped run this toy drive by giving up one of my days to help the organizers count some of the toys that had been donated. I probably spent about half my day counting and rearranging a total of 1 thousand toys, which is not much considering that in total this toy drive gets around 500,000 thousand donations.  Although the work was long and tiresome, mainly because all I did was move boxes and and count toys, in the end it was all worth it because I got to witness another side of the fire department that I really hadn't before. I'm referring to the "giving back" side of firefighting. I've learned that it's not always about your fire station and the people in it, but it's also about the people around you. This single event has changed the way I look at giving back to your community and helped me learn that if you really want to help make a difference you can. 

If you or anyone you know would like to make a donation to help make a small difference in a child's life, feel free to click on the link provided below. The smallest contributions can help make a big difference. Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment