Monday, April 28, 2014

Blog 20: Exit Interview

Content:

(1)
 EQ: What is the best way for a team of firefighters to limit injuries and fatalities while fighting structural fires.
Answer 1: Equipment Checks
Answer 2:  Scene Size-ups
Answer 3: After Action Reviews

The best answer to my essential question is by conducting proper scene size ups. I feel like this is the best way for firefighters to limit injuries and fatalities, especially while fighting structural fires, because it allows them to make safe and effective decisions while on the fire ground.

(2)
I first learned about this answer while conducting research online. Soon after learning about my answer, I got to learn more about it while at the explorers program. The firefighters on duty would constantly mention scene size ups to us explorers and explain how they were a good way to learn about the call they were sent to.

(3)
One of the biggest problems with my answer was that all the information that I was originally obtaining was very general. I knew what my answer was but I didn't have much about it aside from the general stuff. I resolved this problem by learning about the different types of scene size ups, such as the 5 and 13 point methods.

(4)
1. My first and most significant source is called Five-Point Size-Up. It is an article that was posted on fireengineering.com. This source was crucial because it gave me more information that many prior articles had given me at the time and also because it mention the 13 point method. From that point on I was able to find my second most significant source, which was a fire protection handbook that went over the 13 point method.

The link below shows my first source:

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-154/issue-2/features/five-point-size-up.html

The link below shows an overview of my second source:

https://www.inkling.com/store/book/fire-protection-handbook-2008-edition-volume-ii/?chapterId=4e29606b4a46439c996a593dd1cfef85


No comments:

Post a Comment