Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Blog 7: Independent Component 1 Approval

1.  Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours.

For my 30 hours, I plan on continuing to mentor at my local fire station and doing any tasks they require me to do. I would be able to meet every weekend for approximately 4-5 hours. I'd be expanding my knowledge on the topic of firefighting mostly by becoming familiar with basic fire techniques which we usually learn there. These techniques range from topics such as hose lay evolution, ladder techniques, the proper us of fire fighting tools and equipment, and many other fire fighting skills. I'm eager to learn about anything fire related that my mentor, or post leader, has in store for the other explorers and I. The topics we are taught often overlap week after week, since many are skills that we have to master through hands on activities.  All these skills are basic techniques that, although may be simple to learn, are hard to perfect and master. I plan on doing any tasks that are required of me during my explorers program and also hopefully becoming an expert on as many of these subjects as I possibly can by completing these 30 hours. 

2.  Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence.

I plan on recording everything that I do for this independent component by accurately filling out my hours log. I will also ask my mentor to write me a letter that confirms my attendance. Aside from that I will also be keeping any handouts that we receive and making copies of them in order to store them aside for this specific component. Lastly, I plan on taking as many pictures as possible in order to completely justify my 30 hours of work. I feel that taking photographs is probably the best way of showing evidence because someone can't just create a fake picture and have it pass as evidence. 

3.  And explain how what you will be doing will help you explore your topic in more depth.

Continuing to attend my fire explorer meeting will allow me to explore my topic more in depth by helping establish me for future success. Every piece of information that we receive is used in one way or another and is eventually applied to the real world. I would also get to learn more about firefighting by simply being exposed to other firefighters and observing the way they work. Learning the basics of firefighting will eventually aid me in truly understanding the much more complex aspects of this job, which I plan on doing in the near future. 

4.  Post a log on the right hand side of your blog near your mentorship log and call it the independent component 1 log.

Done.

1 comment: