Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog 14: Independent Component 1

Content:  

  • LITERAL
    (a) “I, Steven Robles, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”
    (b) Firefighter Cunningham played a huge role in helping me complete my First Independent Component because he is the person who actually taught me new things when ever I attended my  fire explorers meetings.
    (c) I have completed my digital spread sheet. It can be located in the right hand side of my blog or by clicking here.
  • (d) For my independent component I continued to attend my normal explorer meetings. The interesting part about my logged hours was that I got to write about a yearly  explorer event, know as the mustar, which the other explorers and I had to prepare for. I also got the opportunity to volunteer at a number of different locations and learn more about the career of firefighting like things such as yearly inspections that they have. 
  • INTERPRETIVE: My independent component consisted of learning about different aspects of the fire service by conducting hands on activities. I sent a majority of my mandatory 30 hours preparing for a mustar with the help of my other explorers and post leader. By preparing for the mustar I was also able to learn about the different types of equipment that firemen use. I also spent a large part volunteering, which helped me understand the huge importance that being open and willing to help others has on the job.


The image above is the cover of the mustar packet which goes over each event in the mustar. Some of the explorers in my post received a copy in order to help them prepare for and get a general ideal of what to expect. 
The image above is a picture Post 10 at the mustar event. I am located in the far left.
The image above shows myself and another fellow explorer, Tagle, posing by the bed section of the fire truck after learning about the different sections of hose that can be found of the truck. 
In the picture above I was separating toys when volunteering at the Spark of Love Toy Drive. 

  • APPLIED: As I mentioned before, everything that I did through out my independent component helped me understand a different aspect of the fire service. For example, the mustar showed me that firefighting doesn't always have to be pure work and no fun. I got to learn about the different equipment while conducting hands on activities when preparing for the mustar. I also learned the importance of volunteering and how rewarding it feels to actually be directly involved in helping make a difference in someones life. Lastly, simply by spending so much time at station 166 with the other explorers I got the chance to appreciate the power of creating new friendships with others who have similar interest, which is important in the fire service because I've found that firefighters tend to spend large amounts of time with a set group of people. 

Grading Criteria 
  • Log on a digital spreadsheet 
  • Evidence of 30 hours of work 
  • LIA submitted to blog 

No comments:

Post a Comment